NEW YORK NEO-FUTURIST ARTISTIC DIRECTOR
The New York Neo-Futurists, an established downtown theater ensemble with a late-night Friday/Saturday show every week, seeks full-time Artistic Director for hire, starting July 1, 2019.
The new position of Artistic Director will report to the Board of Directors and work in partnership with the Managing Director to achieve the company’s mission. The Artistic Director’s role will be to create a consistent voice, and evoke a clearer, singular artistic vision through counsel in a formal empowered position. The ultimate goal is to free the ensemble to make art by facilitating communication between the administrative and creative sides of the Neo-Futurists. Ideally, the individual filling this role will be capable of quick, decisive action, have the ability to delegate effectively, and be known by the current ensemble.
The Artistic Director will act as a representative, facilitator, and manager. General tasks include signing off on content for e-blasts, deciding on which companies to do cross-promotion with, handling social media, checking each weekend’s show content, fostering partnerships, soliciting gigs, and alumni outreach.
As development is vital to the future of our company, the Artistic Director will be the face of the company for development, particularly by courting, cultivating, and keeping donors, taking care of individual giving within the company, and acting as an official artistic representative to approve development materials at an efficient rate.
Our goal is to continue the growth of the company and create art that is accessible to as many people as possible. An Artistic Director would give us the opportunity to do just that.
Duties of the Artistic Director:
- Ensemble Development: Supervises and facilitates the development of the ensemble’s artistic and administrative abilities, including but not limited to facilitating company salons and primetime salons.
- Production: Supervises scheduling for The Infinite Wrench and acts as producer for longer form work.
- Organizational Liaison: Serves as the primary ensemble liaison to the board, making policy recommendations, and providing avenues for board participation in accomplishing tasks.
- Advocate: Actively cultivates relationships with community organizations and corporations, including advocacy groups, local businesses, and arts organizations.
- Marketing/Audience Development: Works with staff to oversee the planning and implementation of marketing strategies, public relations, and further promotional events.
- Fundraising: Works with the board, ensemble and development staff to develop an overall fundraising strategy; plans, coordinates, and supervises the implementation of all fundraising activities, including individual gifts, board gifts, special events, corporate giving, government support, and foundation grants.
Ideal Candidate Possesses
- A minimum three years’ experience in a management/leadership role with a nonprofit or for-profit organization, preferably a theater company.
- A minimum of three years’ experience as an active Neo-Futurist ensemble member OR comparable experience with a downtown non-profit theatre company.
- The ability to speak and write persuasively and to serve as a spokesperson for the company.
- A working knowledge of artistic production including intellectual property rights and contracts (including equity contracts).
- Problem solving skills, and the ability to be a highly motivated self-starter.
- A passion for theater and commitment to promoting diversity and social justice in the arts.
- Experience in development and fundraising, board relations, and marketing.
- A flexible schedule that can incorporate regular evening and weekend responsibilities.
Email cover letter, personal statement, and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org by Friday, May 3, 2019. Submissions will be considered as received.